![]()
Nope, it's not the hippest hottest radio station. In fact, it was Kailey's temp the other night. I know, I know, some of you parents are saying..."Ahhh, that's nothing." But, when it is only the third time you child has been sick and her normal temp is 97.6...it is a big deal.
Kailey was having a hard time sleeping the other night and I eventually gave in and went to see why she was calling for me. Poor girl, her cheeks were bright red and she was BURNING up. Earlier that night, she had told me she needed medicine and I eventually gave in, thinking she must be teething. She sure did have it right, she DID need medicine. So, I tore her clothes off, took her temp and started to feel like a really bad parent. I woke Marcus up and as I was walking down the hall with her, she started to make a funny face and move her mouth all around. I thought oh great, here she goes....so I rushed to the bathroom and got there just in time for her to start throwing up.....ALL OVER ME. What was I supposed to do? She has NEVER thrown up before, and she was freaked out...you could tell by her face. I couldn't just hang her over the toilet or over the tub, she would have freaked out even more. (years of Sorority life and drunkard friends did nothing to prepare me for this!) Anyhoo, so there I am trying to comfort her and thinking to myself, I do NOT do vomit....this is Marcus' job, where is he?? He eventually comes into the bathroom and helps to clean her up (and clean the bathroom up too). Did I mention I DON'T do vomit? To my credit though, I didn't throw up too. So back to the story. Poor Kailey has a fever and has now vomited for the first time ever and you can JUST tell she feels so poorly. That was when I almost lost it. It just is horrible when your child is sick and you can do nothing to help, you feel so helpless. We got her all cleaned up, rocked, sang songs, (Marcus did the late night run to the store to get supplies) we tried to get her to drink some fluids and watched a show for a while. Eventually we all had to get some sleep. I made a bed in her room and down we all went. About every 45 min or so Kailey woke up and had to be rocked back to sleep, so needless to say I got no sleep. Eventually I took her back to our bed and she slept for about 1 hr and a half more, which was bliss.
The next day her fever was an on again-off again deal. We would be playing and then she would lie on the floor and knew the fever was back. Sure enough after taking her "picture" (what kailey calls taking your temperature) it was back. We lounged around most of the day and she had a rough evening. But, she slept all night and was back in her standard form today. Thank goodness. .... I think....did I mention her new "form" is to scream like a wild banshee whenever something doesn't go her way?
Hmmm, maybe the fever child wasn't so bad....
yeah right!

2 comments:
Poor Kailey!! Poor mommy & daddy too! Those days are the worst - so glad it didn't seem to last long.
OMG - throw up! I haven't experienced that yet - knock on wood. Hope she's feeling better!
Post a Comment