Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Gymnastics Flunkie

So this blog usually posts achievements of our little monkey. This post is NOT that. I am sad to say that Kailey is a gymnastics flunkie. We have gone to gymnastics 2 times so far and neither times were what we would call, ummm, satisfactory.

Now, don't get me wrong, Kailey loves going. She likes interacting with the kids and rolling around on the mat. She thinks it is fun to watch the older kids do their routines and such. But, when it comes to actually doing the gymnastics....well, she would rather just watch everyone else, or lie down. The first time I thought, well it is all new. That is normal. The second time, it was apparent that most of the kids had worked on their "skills" at home during the week we hadn't seen them. So, at the circle time they were all doing their egg, straddle, and pike. The only thing we had practiced were the hello hands. And I really wouldn't call it practice, more like showing the grandparents. Oh well, I thought. We will all learn something new today.

I was right, Everyone learned to roll and summersault. Everyone but Kailey. She wanted nothing to do with the rolling or summersaulting (even though she can roll at home). All she wanted to do was slide down the incline mats. It was pretty emabarrasing. My child was the only one NOT rolling or summersaulting! There I was trying with all my might to get her to bend down, look at her belly button and roll. I am sure it looked more like I was wrestling an octupus, trying to shove its head down, picking it up and flopping it over. I was all sweaty by the end of the "exercise' (Kailey was not) and pretty certain Kailey was going to be kicked out of gymnastics for her lack of ummm, we will call it desire to particpate correctly.

The rest of the time was free time which Kailey enjoys because it involves running and jumping into a pit of foam. Oh, I also forgot to say that almost all of the kids can jump on two legs. Kailey? Not so much. I keep telling people it is because of her cast. Shh.....don't tell anyone she couldn't hop before the cast either! We would for SURE be kicked out.

So, this morning I have been trying to get her to practice her moves, but she is NOT having it! She would rather lie on me while I do all the moves and do you KNOW how HARD it is to do a summersault when you are 30?????? Oh well, at least I can take pride that at the end of class when they do roll call and the kids are supposed to say "Gymnastics" mine will again be the loudest and proudest to say it!!

Ok, there, I admitted it for all of you to see...my child is NOT perfect and can't do EVERYTHING. Ah, humility.

No comments: